Faces of Cooper: Zinoviy Akkerman

Tensae Andargachew (ME ‘15)

The Cooper Pioneer: Where are you from?

Zinoviy Akkerman: Russia. [Well,] it’s a bit more complicated [than that]. I was born in what is now Moldova and then I went to the Novosibirsk State University and got stuck there already. So Novosibirsk is Siberia, Russia. So I came here from Russia – proper Russia. Siberia even.

TCP: Can you tell me about your educational and professional background?

ZA: [My] education [was at] Novosibirsk State University. On the outskirts of Novosibirsk there is a very famous little township [campus] called Akademgorodok, with about 20 what would be called in the United States, national laboratories. And there is a university, a famous one, we used to be in. Actually, we [were involved] in research, etc. So that was my educational background pretty much. And after [doing research at] the university, I worked there for 22 years and got my PhD there. And [I] worked [there] on materials research – semiconductors, insulating materials, or what we often called dielectric materials, stuff like this, optical properties etc.

TCP: When did you first learn about Cooper Union?

ZA: 2004. [To be] very specific – hadn’t heard about before. I was just uptown at City College. [I heard about it here] and then I went here for a job interview and lo and behold have been here ever since.

TCP: What brought you to Cooper Union? When did you start working at Cooper?

ZA: [I came here] in 2004. That’s when I started working at Cooper. And what brought me here actually, [was that] I was switching my career to teaching and I started teaching. There was an ad that I had seen and I applied and, as I said – actually, without any problems I had been accepted to teach here. I didn’t have too much trouble fighting for the place [job] but it was very nice and very unexpected. I like it very much here.

TCP: What is your role in Cooper? What is your department’s role in Cooper?

ZA: My role in the department in Cooper currently is pretty much to support Professor Wolf’s lectures. In the beginning, I was teaching a couple of courses – I taught Modern Physics. But after a while, and certain developments I am just teaching, supporting I should say, Professor Wolf’s teaching electricity & magnetism and mechanics.

TCP: How much do you like your job at Cooper?

ZA: [I like it] very much. It’s probably the nicest job that I had. I am teaching at different places, but Cooper is certainly the best place to come to teach. For a simple reason – because of the students.

TCP: What advice would you give to Cooper students?

ZA: Oh, that’s hard. Basically [the advice I’d give is] to use the opportunities that are given to them pretty much because they have very good faculty that teach them, they have very good courses here – their future is very bright. So better don’t screw it up.

TCP: Who is your favorite professor at Cooper? Why?

ZA: Well I don’t interact with many [so] I cannot say anything about them. But I can certainly see that the students are taught well. [Though, again] I don’t have too many to compare [to].

TCP: What are some of your hobbies?

ZA: That’s complicated. Pretty much, I read a lot. And I used to spend more time, [though] lately less, trying to develop some new problems in physics and this is very difficult. So physics problem composition I should say is still a hobby but, it’s a low yield hobby because it’s very hard to come by something new after three hundred years of Newton.

TCP: Do you have any closing remarks?

ZA: I pretty much said what I thought when I talked about the students and what advice I can give to the students. Maybe I should end on a sour note – my closing remarks are certainly the high school education in the United States should be improved because even the good students that are accepted to Cooper Union lack certain technical abilities. Is it good or bad? [It’s] hard to tell by the way, but I think it’s more bad than good.

So I think that this comes from very spotty, nonsystematic, high school education – very regional and not standardized. O.K. I admit that it’s hard to standardize some of the disciplines, some of the subjects in high school but physics and math certainly should have certain standards that go beyond just the multiplication tables. Unfortunately, this is wishful thinking.