Microdance Club

Evan Burgess (Arch ’15)

Have you ever thought to yourself:

“Gee, I wish I could move my body in new and exciting ways, driven by the bass rhythms of popular music.  But I don’t want to go all the way up to Hell’s Kitchen at 9:30 on a Wednesday night, and I can only step away from this HSS3 essay for 30 minutes or I won’t finish it by midnight.  If only I could show off my godly twerking skills in a dark room full of sweaty artists, preferably somewhere within the Foundation Building.”

Of course you have.  I feel this way all the time.

The truth of the matter is that “dancing like there’s no tomorrow with the sole intension of getting all hot and sweaty” is an amazing way to get away from the studio or the computer lab for a few minutes.  It lets your brain rest for just long enough that you can go back to work with renewed energy and enthusiasm, or at least a better perspective.

But where can I find the ideal conditions for dancing?

Thankfully, our fellow students Hunter Mayton (Art ’16), Jakob Biernat (Art ’16), and others have done all of the hard work for us by founding The Microdance Club.  Every Wednesday night at 9:30, they host a 30-minute dance party from start to finish, complete with the appropriate levels of darkness, bass, and raw energy.  Every week features a new theme and student DJ.  The themes so far have included the classic “Nerd Takes Off His Glasses And Is Suddenly Hot,” as well as the unforgettable “And In That Moment I Swear I Was Andy.”

Join them next week, and every week thereafter, on the sixth floor of the Foundation Building behind the round elevator.  Draw a little figure of Miley Cyrus into your Wednesday 9:30-10:00pm timeslot.  They’ll be there.